A bit over a week ago, I sent out a newsletter with links to the online membership application, and an invitation to ride the Dalles Mtn 60 loop on the following Saturday. Things changed in a hurry as the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic set in on America and the Pacific Northwest.
Manny, Heather, Holly, Dorothy, Seth, Kelley and I met online last night and shared drinks and discussion. We agree that the thing to do right now is to simply put Team activities on pause. Racing, sponsorships, and new kits all seem a bit trivial at the moment. Our plan is to continue meeting every couple of weeks to assess the current state of affairs. As soon as it is safe to do so, our priority will shift back to what it has always been: Getting together for rides, racing, and camaraderie!
As sad as it is to temporarily lose our physical team community, we will come together again and appreciate what we have even more. For now, let’s all try to appreciate the positive changes occurring as we settle into our new realities: As the parent of two teens that will soon be leaving the nest, I’m thankful that we’re suddenly able to spend more time together as a family. On a larger scale, I’m seeing more smiles and politeness from strangers (outside the toilet paper aisle, anyway).
Finally, our sponsors need our support! Most of them are being severely impacted right now and are being creative in finding ways to serve you safely! If you don’t already, follow each of them on Insta and Facebook so you can stay up to date on their current status:
- Dirty Fingers 541.308.0420: Wrenching and sales continue (except beer)! They’ll meet you at the door for pick-ups and drop-offs, Maybe time for that tune-up you’ve been putting off?
- Double Mountain Brewery & Cidery 541.387.0042: Pizza & Beer to go. You can also pick-up pizza dough for your own creations!
- Cebu Lounge/Riverside Restaurant: 541.386.4410: A new takeout menu (usually with a great vegan option!) is available each day on their social media pages. Pickup or Delivery is available
- 10-Speed Coffee Text Bryan at 503.957.5670 and he’ll get your order of beans ready and arrange a pick-up location
- Pacheco Construction: 541.965.2388 If you’ve got an outdoor project, Jimmy is ready to jump on it!
In closing, I wanted to pass along some really great words from our team secretary and frontline hero, Kelley Morris:
As an ER nurse, I’ve found comfort in viewing this strange and uncertain state of our lives in the same way I would view a very very long ride… I don’t know how this will go, I have no idea what we will endure, I don’t ever really know for certain if I’m ready…But I do know, that these people around me, no matter how far ahead or behind, whether they’re 6 feet apart or 20 miles ahead, will be there for a cheers on the other side. Keep riding, friends. We’ll get there.
Take care. Stay safe.
Find a way to burn some energy and clear the demons in your head!.